In an effort to make large batches of great food so that eating through the week is both delicious and effortless, I came across this recipe that I modified to include the veggies I had in my refrigerator at the time. They turned out phenomenal and I’ve now made them with a plethora of other veggies as well. You really can’t go wrong with the veggies you choose!
Take the base recipe and add what you enjoy and you’re sure to love these egg muffins as much as I do.
- 16 egg whites (I use the pourable egg whites in a carton)
- 6 whole medium eggs
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups diced/chopped white mushrooms
- 4 cups kale or spinach
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and other spices to taste
Directions for 6 servings:
- Whisk egg whites and eggs together
- Sauté pepper and mushrooms for three minutes
- Add the spinach/kale until it wilts
- Place even amounts of vegetables in a muffin tin sprayed with cooking spray
- Evenly spoon egg mix over the vegetables (muffin tins should be 1/2 to 3/4 full with the egg mixture)
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle of muffin comes out clean (not wet)
- Remove from oven and let the muffins cool for five minutes before placing them on a cooling rack
- Store in an air-tight container and heat on high in the microwave for 1 minute per serving
- Serve with salsa or hot sauce of your liking
Approximate macros for 4 muffins: 166 calories, 10g carbs, 2g sugar, 5g fat, 21g protein
Macronutrient breakdown: 23% carbs, 26% fat, 51% protein
*I eat 4 muffins with 3 tablespoons of no sugar salsa, 1/4 of an avocado, and half an apple to make the macros closer to a 40% carbs – 30% protein – 30% fat split.
Other vegetable and meat combinations I’ve used have included:
- Bacon, tomatoes, spinach, cheddar cheese
- Ham, asparagus, spinach, feta cheese